Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Sickle Cell Trait or something else?

Sickle Cell Trait or something else?

Patient: Hi, recently I’ve been doing a little reading on sickle cell trait and I read that a person with the trait doesn’t have symptoms of sickle cell anemia. However, For the past few years, I have had jaundice which makes my eyes noticeably yellow ,had high white blood cell counts and dark urine. My eyes only turn yellow when I am becoming sick and start to hurt.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Patients with sickle cell trait are generally asymptomatic. Some patients may develop sympt oms of abdominal pain, or fatigue during physical activity due to decreased oxygen within the circulation. Your symptoms may be more related to an condition related to your liver. Jaundice is caused by a billed up of excess bilirubin within the circulation. We recommend that you follow up your doctor to start examinations that would lead you to develop jaundice. One possible cause of this is hepatitis. Hepatitis can be caused by viral infections or liver damage from certain drugs or alcohol. Please see your doctor as soon as you can to star the diagnostic evaluation for your jaundice.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com