Side affects of Accutane

Patient

Q: Hi doc, I'm a healthy 19 year old male, I've been taking accutane for the past 2 and a half weeks no major side affect ontil about yesterday I noticed my stomach started cramping I'm really worrid I have a bowel disease now is 2 and a half weeks long enough to cause that? Or to do any permanent affects?

Doctor

A:   Accutane has many side-effects and you being concerned is reasonable. The use of accutane may cause colitis, esophagitis, nausea, pancreatitis and inflammatory bowel disease. I would advise you to discontinue the drug and see your doctor if you experience abdominal pain, loose stools or rectal bleeding. Your doctor may require a complete blood count, sedimentation rate, glucose, CPK and LFT to determine the cause of pain.