Side-effect of hydrochlorothiazide

Q: I have Hypertension. On medication my BP is 130/90. My age is 46 years. I am using Ramipril 5 mg twice a day, Atervostatin 10 mg daily once and Hydrazide 12.5 mg half tablet on alternative day. I am on this medication for the last 4 years. With medication my BP is 130/90 and is in control. But of late I am feeling that it is decreasing my sexual urge and am feeling that i am not getting enough hard during sex. Is it due to the medication I am using? What will be the solution for me. How to control my BP without medication and have normal sex life.

A:   .I assume Hydrozide is Hydrochlorothiazide, a type of thiazide diuretic used in the treatment of hypertension. Hydrochlorothiazide has been reported to cause impotence and sexual dysfunction. Therefore I would advise a visit to your family doctor to discuss a trial discontinuation of diuretic therapy. He will monitor for a improvement in symptoms and optimal blood pressure control