Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Side effect of sleeping pill – Any alternative treatments?

Side effect of sleeping pill – Any alternative treatments?

Patient: I cannot stand the taste of sleeping pills and was wondering hat could happen to me if I took them supository I’m taking zopiclone

Doctor: Zopiclone is a nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic used in the treatment of  transient and short-term insomnia. Zopiclone is admi ministered orally just before bedtime and cannot be used as a suppository. Gastrointestinal problems like  dry mouth, dyspepsia, halitosis and bitter  taste in mouth are common side-effects of the drug. I would advise that you speak to your doctor on other alternative if you cannot tolerated the bitter taste side-effect of zopiclone.Nonbenzodiazepine