Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Side effect of this medicine for epilepsy

Side effect of this medicine for epilepsy

Patient: Good evening Doctor,I want to know about the epilepsy.Four times happened something from sleep my doctor told this is epilepsy,What happened actually, first time June-2009- when I was sleeping early morning (near 5.00am to 6.30 am) I was lost my conscious near half an hour- but actually I don’t know my family told me before that I cried like see some dreams after that nothing and lost conscious also.second in 2009 December same happened when i was sleepingthird 2010 May samefourth Dec-2013 – all happened from bed early morningfrom 2010 june onwards I am taking medicine regularly. I continued it more than three years and still continueing.MRI – NECT SCAN – EEG all normal but only last scan( ( done 2014 Jnuaary ) they mentioned ceribrell atrophy ( i am 45 years old) and EEG normal.First two year I continued medicine Valprol CR 300 ( Valporic acid and Sodium Valporate)(morning one and night one)after that more than one year i used Valprol CR 200 (morning one and night one)last three month before used Valprol cr 300 only at nightafter that the forth time happened that case- So I met doctor again he changed that but i cannot continue that and I met another neuorologist he adviced me to continu the same medicine what I used first( Valprol CR 300)Still I am continuing this but I am too much tired doctorPlease advice me what I have to do if I use this medicine any side effect will happend or notnow i have sleepy mode -some time gastric problem – eye pain etcExpecting your great adviceThanking you

Doctor: Epilepsy is a focal neurological defect, where due to activation of a center in brain cause seizures. Your episodes seem s to be like seizure activity only. Usually all the reports except for EEG will be normal. Cerebellar atrophy is quiet common as age advances and seen as normal phenomenon in many people, so nothing to worry, unless you have any coordination problems. Vaproate is drug of choice many seizures and sometimes only drug for treatment for few seizures. So you must continue on the drug. Side effects can include tiredness, tremors, nausea, vomiting and sedation. It is also risky in pregnancy, though irrelevant in your condition.