Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Side Effects of Cetapin XR 500

Side Effects of Cetapin XR 500

Patient: I am taking cetapin xr 500mg(half tablet each meal) from last 20 days, this is increased by daily motion frequency, in between i tested my sugar level almost 5 days once, every time it is show normal value.

Doctor: Cetapin (metformin) is an oral anti-diabetic drug. It is a first line drug in the treatment of type 2 diabetes and is pa rticularly helpful in overweight individuals. Metformin causes a few side effects : the most frequent being loose stools, indigestion, nausea and vomiting. These are minor side effects and will decrease over time.However if you notice increased tiredness, weakness, trouble breathing, pain abdomen and muscle pain. I would suggest you to consult your doctor immediately. Lactic acidosis is a serious complication of metformin.

Doctor: Thank you for the follow-up question.
Though it is not possible to list all the side effects of Cetapin XR 500, I will list the common side effects of Cetapin XR 500:
Abdominal or stomach discomfort
decreased appetite
diarrhea
fast or shallow breathing
fever or chills
general feeling of discomfort
painful or difficult urination
cough or hoarseness
lower back or side pain
muscle pain or cramping
sleepiness
I recommend that you see a Doctor if you are getting any side effects from Cetapin XR 500 use.
I hope this helps you. All the best.