Ask The Doctor > Men's Health > What are the side effects of penis pumps?

What are the side effects of penis pumps?

Patient: I used a penis pump for the first time. I used it three days in a row for about thirty minuted with breaks in between at pressures of 5 hg. The problem is I didn’t know how to release the pressure so I would yank the tube off of my body which was difficult because of a tight seal. Apparently this creates a dangerously high vacuum. I have not achieved any spontaneous full erections and it has been a week. I was able to masturbate once, but felt like my erection would go away if I didn’t stimulate enough. I had a little hickey mark on my shaft but that cleared up. I have no pain or discolouration so it doesn’t look like I ruptured anything or that this would be irreversible. My penis feels desensitized and like cut off from good circulation. I’ll sometimes get an increase in blood flow in my penis but nowhere near an erection that I could have sex with. I have a prescription for cialis and even that isn’t helping. I have a urologist appointment in a week but was hoping I could get advice now. I have tried cool baths, heat, erectile herbs like yohimbe and nothing is helping. How can I speed up the recovery?

Doctor: Let me summarize the question to ensure that we are on the page: You are asking about the side effects of the penis pump. Although penis pumps are safe for most men, there are some potential risks. Penis pumps can cause an erection that doesn’t feel natural or spontaneous. You may have a lack of firmness at the base of the penis, which can allow the penis to rotate or pivot more than it would with a natural erection. I would advise you to avoid the pump for a while. If your symptoms persists, consult your doctor. It is possible that improper use also makes the penis pump unsafe and hence you may not always want to use it unless you know how to use it correctly. Also, you should not use it if you have bleeding easily or blood clots easily.