Side-effects of Plan B

Patient

Q: Hi, I would like to know if Plan B causes constipation and frequent urination. I took plan b 2 weeks ago and now having these symptoms.Also, I'm currently having lower abdominal pain. Is it normal for these symptoms to appear after 2 weeks? Thank you.

Doctor

A:   Following the administration of Plan B, the main gastro-intestinal side-effects reported are nausea in 14% to 23% of patients and abdominal pain in 13% to 18%. There are no reports of constipation or frequent urination with this drug and I think it is unlikely that symptoms should appear 2 weeks post administration. I would advise speaking to your family doctor to find another cause for your symptoms.