Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Side effects of the drug Voglibose?

Side effects of the drug Voglibose?

Patient: Hi I am 67 years old and having diabetes from last 3 years. My average fasting sugar level is 210. Recently doctor has prescribed a tablet with drug Voglibose to be taken along with meal. I have found that after taking the medicin my heart rate increases to 150 ppm and comes down to normal after 3-4 hours. Is this an acceptable side effect of Voglibose?

Doctor: Voglibose is an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor that prevents the absorption of carbohydrates from the intestines. The major side effects of voglibose are increased flatulence and diarrhea. Increased heart rate could be caused by many factors and it is difficult to comment that the drug may be the cause. You may need to do an electrocardiogram to rule out any condition of the heart.It is essential to carry sugar tablets with you, as hypoglycemia by voglibose can only be corrected by taking a monosaccharide like glucose. Hope you find the information helpful.

View all posts