SIgA levels are low due to intense exercise

Patient

Q: I have been taking part in high intense exercise for the past 6 months. During this time i have been more vulnerable to illnesses, the doctors think i have low levels of siga due to the intense exercise. What could i do to increase it?

Doctor

A:   Secretory IgA (sIgA) is present in the mucosal surfaces, such as those of the eyes, nose, throat and GI tract. sIgA attach to pathogens and allergens in the mucosa and preventing the pathogens from penetrating the mucosa.
The causes of low sIgA are :

Certain drugs like anti-inflammatory medication, sulfasalazine, sodium valproate and captopril can cause transient IgA deficiency.
Viral infections, EBV and rubella infection may result in IgA deficiency.
Poor nutrition may result in difficult in the body system to mount an appropriate immune response.
Patients with ulcerative colitis have been found to have a dysfunction in trans-epithelial IgA secretion.
Excessive cortisol production during times of stress lead to lower levels of IgA.

The recommended measure of increasing the IgA levels are :

Remove offending foods, medication, gluten and reduce high fat foods, refined carbohydrates, sugars and fermented foods.
Probiotics such as lactobacillus and saccharomyces help enhance the growth of favourable bacteria and repair mucosal lining.
Diet rich in L-glutamine, essentail fatty acids, zinc, pantothenic acid and vitamin C.
Relaxation techniques such as aromatherapy and massage have been shown to increase IgA levels.