Signs, Symptoms and Diagnostic Options of Pregnancy

Patient : Hello doc, My husband and I are trying for a baby. We had sex a week before my period was due. On my period due date I only had my period for 2 days. But since having sex I have felt pregnancy symptoms like nausea,tierdness,frequently going to the toilet To urinate and sore breast? Could I be pregnant although I had my period,even though my period didn't last as long as it normally does. It normally last for 5-6 days. Please reply back ASAP. Thankyou doc.
Doctor :   It is possible that you are pregnant since the symptoms you mentioned were consistent with pregnancy. I would suggest th is: try to remember your last menstrual period (the first day of your last mense which lasted 5-6 days, not the one which only lasted 2 days); if it occurred 5-10 weeks ago, you may do a home pregnancy test kit; it is best to do this early in the morning (first morning urine upon waking up) as it is the most concentrated. But this is only presumptive of pregnancy; the only confirmatory test for pregnancy is ultrasound. I suggest you see an OB-GYN to be sure if you really are pregnant. I wish you all the best.   The most common cause of amenorrhea (absence of menses) is pregnancy. Like you said, you have taken tests. I presume those are home pregnancy test kits. These test kits are not 100% accurate. Another factor is the time of day the test is done. It is best to do this early in the morning (first morning urine upon waking up) as it is the most concentrated. Besides, pregnancy test kits are only presumptive for pregnancy; the only confirmatory test for pregnancy is ultrasound. Other causes of amenorrhea are hormone imbalances (e.g. thyroid hormones, reproductive hormones). I strongly suggest for you to see a doctor (or an OB-GYN) as blood tests and ultrasound may be needed to determine the cause of the amenorrhea. I hope this helps.