Simple Renal Cysts - Management

Q: My mom (age 56) has a 12 mm cortical cyst in the lower pole of right kidney. does she have to undergo a surgery to remove it? She has got a slight pain on the right side? kindly help

A:   Renal cysts result from genetic or nongenetic processes, and occur in a variety of diseases in adults. What your mom may be having is a simple renal cyst which are commonly observed in normal kidneys, with an increasing incidence as individuals age. They are benign asymptomatic lesions that rarely require treatment. Simple renal cysts typically produce no symptoms or signs. If basic ultrasonography criteria for a benign simple cyst are met, further study is not required. A CT scan should be performed if the ultrasonogram is equivocal. The vast majority of simple cysts require no treatment. Therapy may rarely be required if the cysts are associated with with rupture (hemorrhage), hematuria, pain, abdominal mass, infection, and/or hypertension.