Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Since the age of 14, I’ve been having irregular periods

Since the age of 14, I’ve been having irregular periods

Patient: Since the age of 14, I’ve been having irregular periods nonstop. They normally don’t bother me, but this time, I’m worried. It had been four months since I had my last period, but for the last 3 weeks I’ve been bleeding nonstop. Typical I would experience a heavy flow for only 4 or 5 days, but now I’ve been having light to medium types of flows. My mother says it’s nothing to worry about, but I’m extremely worried. What is my body telling me about this extremely long period?

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you. This problems can occur as a result of hormonal imbalance, excess ive stress, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), Thyroid issues. So, you should get investigated. You would require to get an Ultrasound Pelvic organs to rule out Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and to get a thyroid profile done to rule out any evidence of Hypothyroidism. If any issues are found you would be treated accordingly.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy