Single kidney and renal scintigraphy scan

Patient

Q: My son with single kidney has done a scintigraphy with DTPA The scintigraphy was normal What does it mean? does it mean that his solitary kidney works?

Doctor

A:   Renal scintigraphy is a procedure in which a nuclear dye(DTPA) is injected into the system transvenously and the substance can be tracked by its uptake into the renal system through special gamma cameras. Its like taking an contrast xray. This basically helps us visualise both the functioning and the circulatory system of the kidneys. Since the scintigraphy was normal it means that the solitary kidney is working appropriately in both uptake as well as excretion.  This is good news.All the best.