Single loose loop of cord overlying dorsum neck

Patient: My fetal well being scan says “single loose loop of cord overlying dorsum neck, please suggest what it means

Doctor: Thank you for your question. This ultrasound finding indicates that the umbilical cord of the fetus was visualized over the back of the neck. It will be monitored in subsequent ultrasounds to make sure that it does not in fact wrap round the developing fetus’ neck resulting in strangulation. If you are at the stage of pregnancy where you are able to feel your child moving around within the womb, please make sure you observe that the baby is moving regularly. If you notice decreased, or cessation of movement, please report this finding to your doctor immediately, and seek an emergency ultrasound to determine the well being of your baby.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com