Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Sir I have not taken tetanus booster doses as per schedule

Sir I have not taken tetanus booster doses as per schedule

Patient: SirI have not taken tetanus booster doses as per schedule. But i have taken single tetanus vaccine doses after injury for several times, almost two or three shots in one year. Recently i took a tetanus injection 17 days ago and now i have an injury from a trolley bag wheel. Should i take another tetanus vaccine? I also want to know how long is the validity of a single shot tetanus vaccine?

Symptoms: Nil

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.I do not think that you need a TT injection. This is because you are already protected. You only need a max of 1 injection every year for protection.Theoretically, you need an injection once every 5 years. But in practice, once yearly is fine.Hope this helps you.