Sir, My son is 13 years old and he is a

Patient

Q: Sir,
My son is 13 years old
and he is a swimmer and practices swimming
for total 3 hours daily
( 1.5 hour in morning and 1.5 hour in evening)
His height is 160 cm and weight 45 kg
His Hb (hemoglobin) is just 10.9
Kindly advise :
1. How much should be his Hb ?
2. How can we improve his Hb?
3. What diet should be given to him keeping in mind his hard swimming practice hours?

Symptoms:  Allergy for nose from pollution
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us

I think that he should reduce the amount he swims daily. Exercising to that limit per week will get him injured.

Get him on a diet of Red meat. He must have at least 120 grams protein daily to fulfill the protein needs. Also, add on some iron by taking some iron syrup.

See a dietician if the Hb levels are still low. They will help you design a diet plan that will cover the loss of iron. Also, please see a Doctor if the values continue to be low and can be due to a chronic disease. Wishing you the best.

Hope this helps you.