Six month old Sick for over a Month

Patient

Q: My son is almost seven months, he has been sick with a cold for over a month. He has not yet had a fever, but he is very congested, coughing and weezing, no longer sleeps well at night because of coughing spells. Ive been putting a humidifier in the room at night as well as a vaporizor in the morning and at night. Im keeping him hydrated as well as using saline and bulb syringe for his nose, as the doctor told me to do when i brought him in a few weeks ago. the symptoms seem to clear for a day or two then come back again. What should I do?

Doctor

A:   Your son seems to have a viral infection, possibly of the respiratory syncitial virus which commonly affects the lung and breathing passages of kids. Most cases of RSV are mild and require no treatment or only require medications or support for breathing problems. Keep your son as comfortable as possible and offer fluids in small amounts at more frequent intervals than usual. Keeping your baby hydrated and continuation of all the measures you have been following will help your son recover sooner.