Sixteen and Pregnant

Patient

Q: I am sixteen, seventeen in august, i think i may be pregnant but havent went to get a pregnancy test yet, i am due my period tomorow and if doesnt come i will get a test done but i am scared that if i am pregnant i will have tubal pregnancy what are the chances of this?

Doctor

A:   Hello, I understand your concern about ectopic pregnancy. An ectopic pregnancy is an abnormal pregnancy that occurs outside the uterus. The most common site for an ectopic pregnancy is within one of the tubes through which the egg passes from the ovary to the uterus (fallopian tube). However, in rare cases, ectopic pregnancies can occur in the ovary, stomach area, or cervix.
An ectopic pregnancy is usually caused by a condition that blocks or slows the movement of a fertilized egg through the fallopian tube to the uterus. This may be caused by a physical blockage in the tube.  Most cases are a result of scarring caused by previous ectopic pregnancy, past infection or surgery of the fallopian tubes.
If you did not have any of these risk factors, I don’t think you should be concerned about ectopic pregnancy. I will suggest you to take your home pregnancy test if your menses don’t occur a week after your due date. I wish you the best.