Sixteen year-old female with regular back pains

Patient

Q: Hello, I am a 16 year old female and at least 6 months I have been getting back pains. These pains occur whenever I am sitting still in class and carrying my school bag (quite heavy). Also when the weather is cold, my back stiffens and gets very painful, making it difficult for me to breathe properly. Is this common for somebody my age, should I be worried? What do you think this could be? Please help me, my own doctor wasn't very useful. Thank you very much in advance, Hayley

Doctor

A:   At your age, back pain usually occurs due to muscle strain or cramps because of carrying a heavy bag and poor posture as in your case. You need to maintain your posture at all times in order to avoid the stress on your muscles, and also try to reduce the heavy weight in the bag, if possible, by not carrying along the less important stuff at all times. Walking and doing some back muscle stretches daily would certainly help, along with some pain medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain relief.

At your age, back pain usually occurs due to muscle strain or cramps because of carrying a heavy bag and poor posture as in your case. You need to maintain your posture at all times in order to avoid the stress on your muscles, and also try to reduce the heavy weight in the bag, if possible, by not carrying along the less important stuff at all times. Walking and doing some back muscle stretches daily would certainly help, along with some pain medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain relief.