Skin allergy to wheat but no Gluten Allergy

Q: Allergy skin test showed high allergic reaction to wheat. GI doctor did a blood test and came back negative for gluten allergy. I have Crohn's disease and so confused. Wouldn't I have reactions to gluten if extreme reaction to wheat on skin test? Allergist told me I wouldn't make it through a wheat field alive without an epic pen. I'm so confused.

Symptoms:  I have skin rashes and eczema and break out in hives at times after I eat

A:   Thank you for your question. The wheat allergy test could have been testing for allergies to different components of wheat, such as in its pollen. It is possible that gluten allergic skin testing was not performed. Since you have Crohn's disease, you indeed have a sensitive to gluten found in wheat. Certain antibodies to gluten should be detected within the blood as part of the diagnosis. It is possible that you need to have another blood test performed. Please carry your epi pen at all times, in case you develop a severe allergic reaction.

Thank you for consulting