Skin around penis

Patient : I've had a dry, somewhat itchy, red "rash" (for lack of a better term) at the right side of the base of my penis--on the pelvic area, though--that flakes. What could this be?
Doctor :   You complained of scaly itchy red rash in groin region next to scrotum. This rash is almost certainly tinea cruris. It o ccurs typically in this area in males and is often associated with excessive sweating. It is caused by a fungus infection, which gets into the skin when it is moist and chafed. It is usually not infectious. Antifungal ointments will help you in the situation. After showering, make sure you dry the area carefully and using some talc after you have applied the ointment may help. Wearing boxer shorts is better than Y-fronts. Personal hygiene alone helps in preventing the condition.