Skin disorder - Folliculitis of STD?

Patient : Hello, Im not sure if i have an STD or some other skin disorder but i am trying to get an appointment at a planned parenthood clinic as i have no insurance and no doctor. I thought i would ask here first. About six months ago i started to get these small bumps on the shaft of my penis, just in one cluster area on the left. They are relatively small, smooth and round. usually skin colored unless irritated. If i look closely they appear to all be right where a hair follice is, but that might not be the case for all of them. On two of the larger ones they might have a slight recess in the middle, but barely noticeable. I have been sexually active with my girlfriend during and before this period but she has had no visible signs of anything at all, minus a few yeast infections. If i dont have sexual activity for a few days and avoid irritants, the bumps arent all that noticeable. Never painful. It does not hurt to urinate. they never open as sores or leak or discharge. However if i have sex which obviously involves friction they will become irritated and be more noticeable over the next day or so. At work i sit all day and my work pants can feel tight leading to mild discomfort. Never pain but an annoying feeling of being slightly warm down there and either itching or tingling on occasion. It always feels more comfortable wearing loose clothes. Ive tried antifungal cream twice thinking it might be jock itch or something similar, no luck If i put a little baby powder down there it seems to keep irritation down. Pictures i see online look like several possible outcomes. Molluscum Contagiosum seems to look similar, but so does several pictures of hpv and herpes. Its been six months so i feel im at wits end and really need to figure out whats goign on. One last note is that i have been really sick over this winter period, much more than normal. not sure if its related but im worried my immune system is compromised thank you
Doctor :   There could be many possibilities about what those bumps could be. If you've had unprotected sex, then there's definitel y a possibility of STD and needs bloodwork to test for it. However in my opinion and by your history, it is most possibly due to folliculitis. Whenever the there is friction of the hair folicles due to tight clothing or trauma, folliculitis develops. No medication is needed other than wearing loose clothing and warm compresses. You could also use oral or topical antibiotics (mupirocin) help to resolve the folliculitis.

Related Q&A

Q: Are you able to look at a photo of my friends lower body - and tell me if you see any worrying skin areas - such as e...

Q: I fave a few small blood blister type bumps on the edge of the head of my penis. Can't figure out what it is called. ...

Q: Hi. I am a 56 yr old female. I went to the doctor because I was having a little discharge, no noticeable odor, (to me...

Q: I have a red patch beneath the penile head under the foreskin, and there is a red spot at the lower end of the penile...

Q: Hi Doctor, I am 37 year old male and I have been in a relationship for 7 years. I had an sti test at the start of the...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon