Skin lesion on the Inner part of the Thumb.

Patient

Q: I have a hard piece of circular skin on the inner part of my thumb i usually clip it with a nail clipper,but it comes back every month. its a small circle and sometimes it gets kind of sore, but when i clip it, its fine, but it comes back. what do you think it is? its been there for three years or more.

Doctor

A:   I think the circular skin you are referring may be caused due to common warts. These warts are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) and is extremely common in young adults. They are usually seen the in the hands and feet. Treatment options are i) salicylic acid preparation in the form of gels, plasters and corn caps ii) freezing of the wart by liquid nitrogen and iii) surgical removal in extreme cases. These warts usually go off on its own even without treatment, but since you've mentioned that it's been three years since its been there, I would advise you to visit a dermatologist for an opinion.