Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Skin pain without a rash

Skin pain without a rash

Patient: It sounds silly but my skin hurts, all around the trunk of my body. I have no rash, no fever but it hurts to touch.

Symptoms: My skin hurts

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you are in the early stages of developing shingles. This occurs when th e varicella zoster virus which causes chicken pox, gets reactivated leading to a painful rash along a patch of skin. Another possible cause of your pain could be due to neuropathic pain. This occurs when the sensory nerves beneath the surface of the skin can become damaged. As a result you may experience a dull pain beneath the surface of the skin. This is commonly observed in patients suffering from hypertension or diabetes. We recommend that you follow up with your doctor to be examined to determine what could be the possible cause of your pain. We hope you feel better soon.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com