Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Skip period with birth control pill while on IUD.

Skip period with birth control pill while on IUD.

Patient: I’m on the copper IUD (Paragard), and I’m supposed to get my period during a vacation to Costa Rica at the beginning of next month. I still have a few packs of Ortho tri-cyclen from when I was on the pill – is it safe to start taking the pill a week before my vacation to delay getting my period, even while on an IUD?

Doctor: Hello,If you intend to delay the periods, then you may take the Ortho tri-cyclen tabs only the active pills from day 21 of your cycle daily ( only the active pills) till you want to delay your periods. once you place yourself on placebo pills then your periods should resume naturally and copper-T would not be a hindrance and not cause any irregular bleed.I hope i have answered your query,Regards