Sleep and Muscle Recovery

Patient: After my 30 minute to an hour run when does growth and recovery begin? If I’m walking around afterward does that delay the growth and recovery process.

Doctor: This is a common question I receive from individuals interested in strength and toning of their body.Running is an exc ellent form of cardiovascular exercise and depending on your level of exertion, can work out the lower limp muscles as well.  During any exercise, your muscles get “worn and torn”. This is normal and essential for muscle growth. The repair phase of muscle growth you mentioned actually occurs most at night or when you sleep or rest.  The repair phase is also imporved if your body has plenty of amino acids (found in protein) to help build up the muscles.This is why I always recommend any work out routine include a good night sleep with an appropriate amount of protein intake for optimal results.