Sleep Problems- waking 3 or 4 times a night

Q: My son is 2 and a badsleeper. I've heard that a low-Salicylate diet might be able to help kids who don't sleep well. Apparently it's used to help manage ADHD... have you ever heard of this?

We just moved him into a big boy bed b/c he kept climbing out of his crib and hitting his head. So it's super bad right now. He's about 35 lbs, 37 inches and super talkative

I'm just trying to look at things that might be contributing to his bad sleep. My mom's secretary said something about this diet. He seems to eat foods that are high or very high in salicylates- a LOT of fruit, avocados, broccolli, berries..

Symptoms:  Frequent night waking, crying

A:   Thank you for your question. We are not aware of any such diet as being effective in the treatment of ADHD and its symptoms of multiple awakenings throughout the night. We recommend that you have your son assessed by a child psychiatrist to see if his symptoms are constitutional for his age or whether he may be developing ADHD. He is quite young to make definitive diagnosis of this so he may need to be monitored for a few years to see if his symptoms will improve. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for consulting