Slept on my arm and it keeps going asleep

Q: I slept on my arm one night and when I woke up in the morning it was asleep then slowly regained feeling, I thought everything was normal until a day or so later it fell asleep for no reason and it seems like it's getting worst, What is this and does it involve surgery?

Symptoms:  Numbness

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

Your history is suggestive of Acute nerve Compression of Cervical Disc.
The pain of cervical disc compression radiates to arm with associated tingling and numbness and gives the feeling that your hand has fallen asleep.
MRI Cervical spine is indicated to rule out any disc prolapse.
For pain, I would advise following:
1. A Painkiller like Ibuprofen/Etoricoxib can be taken for pain relief.
2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.
3. To apply Diclofenac / Volini ointment locally.
4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.
5. A combination of Rabeprazole and Domperidone for acid reflux.
Your pain would start getting better in 5 days if this is a simple muscular pain.
If any disc prolapse is found you would be treated with a combination of Pregabalin and Methycobalamine.
Share my opinion with your doctor before you act upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy