Slight swelling, soreness and tingling on foot

Q: On 7/7 i dropped a 10 pound shredder on the top of my foot, i didn't notice any problems with it other than it was painful to wear shoes that touched the top of my foot. i just wore flat dress shoes. on 07/16 i wore a dress shoe that had a tiny heel, and it started feeling like a tear in the arch of my foot and if i touched the place where i dropped the shredder would send tingles into my toes and up my leg. i went to the doctor and they did an xray which did not show anything, but i was not standing during the xray - which i've heard i should have been doing to spot any fractures in that area of the foot. the dr put me in a (orthopedic?) shoe and gave me prednisone to decrease the swelling, as i can not take advil (etc) due to stomach issues. at this point, there has been no change. the top of my foot is still sore, slightly swollen and hurts/tingles to the touch. if i touch the front of my leg in the ankle area, it sends a tingle to the bottom of my foot. it mostly does not hurt, just some soreness in my ankle and heel, probably due to my change in gait. i have been trying to stay off it and elevate it as much as possible. when i put weight on it it pops and feels like... popping a knuckle.
how long should i continue to wait until i return to the doctor regarding my concerns of the tingling?

Symptoms:  Sore to touch, tingling, popping when walking