Slimming calves

Patient: I have big muscular calves. Can I slim them by running or will the running just make them bigger?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Running actually exercises the muscles of the calves a lot and this can actually increase t he size of your calves versus reducing the size of them. In order to reduce the size of your calves we recommend avoiding exercises that over work the calf muscles. We recommend that you alter your exercise routine buy engaging in actives such as swimming, using an elliptical trainer, or yoga/pilates which exercises the entire body without focusing on a single particular area. This, over a gradual period of time will proportionately reduce the size of your calves but maintain your physical fitness. Please consult your doctor before starting any new exercise routine.Thank you fro choosing AskTheDoctor.com

Guest: I have the same problem too. I run a lot but it seems my calves didn’t change size. I saw that calve raises tone the muscles but I don’t know if it’s true. I hope the doctor answers this particular question.