Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Slipped through the stairs and couldn’t speak or move my body

Slipped through the stairs and couldn’t speak or move my body

Patient: I’m a 17 year old girl and this morning I slipped on the last three stairs in my house and hit my lower back pretty hard. I got so scared because for about a minute or two as my grandparents tried to help me up and ask what was hurting, I couldn’t form the words to come out of my mouth as anything other than sounds. It was like I could think what I wanted to say but not speak. The sounds were similar to those of a person who is mentally incapable of speaking. I also couldn’t move myself from the position that I was in. When my grandparents reached to grab my hand I couldn’t get my arm t move toward them. Now I am able to speak and walk although my back hurts really bad. What happened? Did I damage my nerves? And what should I do?

Doctor: You may have hit your head on to the stairs during fall. In my opinion you should see your doctor for a clinical examina tion of your sensory functions and if necessary your doctor may order imaging scans to confirm the findings. You may also get your back examined for any nerve, muscle injury, however it seems unlikely for your back injury to be the cause for the loss of speech and movement symptoms mentioned above.