x
180 Physicians Online

Question:

Slow healing after knee arthroscopy

Oc, i had a medial and lateral meniscus tear. had surgery jan 28 - 6 months ago. i still have knee pain in the joint line. i could bike and do some exercise but i still cant run , jump or make any sudden movements. im a little anxious. i play soccer, my teamate had the same injury however he is already back playing. my doc says its normal and recommended a cotizone shot. is this a good idea? or is this lingering joint line pain part of the healing process?

Answer:

Usually the rehab post knee arthroscopic surgery, is about 4-6 weeks using crutches (depending if the ligaments were affected or not), non-bearing weight period. After these 6 weeks you will start progressively to bear weight on the affected knee, and range of motion exercises (flexion-extension), along with quads straightening, and hamstring stretches. It will be expected some inflammation and pain when you start the exercise routine, but you will control these with anti-inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”). Not all the patients are the same and the healing process might take longer in some cases.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA