Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Slow healing after knee arthroscopy

Slow healing after knee arthroscopy

Patient: Oc, i had a medial and lateral meniscus tear. had surgery jan 28 – 6 months ago. i still have knee pain in the joint line. i could bike and do some exercise but i still cant run , jump or make any sudden movements. im a little anxious. i play soccer, my teamate had the same injury however he is already back playing. my doc says its normal and recommended a cotizone shot. is this a good idea? or is this lingering joint line pain part of the healing process?

Doctor: Usually the rehab post knee arthroscopic surgery, is about 4-6 weeks using crutches (depending if the ligaments were af ffected or not), non-bearing weight period. After these 6 weeks you will start progressively to bear weight on the affected knee, and range of motion exercises (flexion-extension), along with quads straightening, and hamstring stretches. It will be expected some inflammation and pain when you start the exercise routine, but you will control these with anti-inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”). Not all the patients are the same and the healing process might take longer in some cases.