September 25, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Slowed Growth in 14-year-old

Slowed Growth in 14-year-old

Patient: I am wondering if my fourteen-year-old daughter, who is 5’4″ and weights 108 pounds would qualify for growth hormone injections. Her growing has slowed down a lot, but she is constantly hungry and I feel like she should be growing a lot more.

Symptoms: Slowed growth

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Growth hormone injections are not necessarily the indicated treatment for delayed growth in adolescents. What first needs to be done is to determine if indeed your daughter is suffering from delayed growth and if this is being caused by hormonal deficiency, nutritional deficiency, or genetically inherited causes. Based on her height and weight which you have provided, your daughter is in the 63rd percentile in terms of her height and 48th percentile in terms of her weight. This means out of 100 female teens her age she would 63rd and 48th respectively. Her height is normal, but she is a little under weight, but not severely. Her increased hunger may be due to nutritional or hormonal deficiency which needs to be investigated for by her doctor with a physical examination and blood testing. Please have your doctor examine your daughter.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com