x
71 Physicians Online

Question:

Slurred speech and anti-anxiety medication

I am a 19 year old male and for about 5 years now I've been having some frustrating symptoms. Every now and then I have these spells where my speech gets slurred and it gets difficult to speak. I lose all coordination in my body and my face feels weird. I also feel very confused and disoriented. It gets the worst during physical activity but it happens off and on all the time. What could this be?

Answer:

I do understand your concern. The problems of speech that you are facing is due to dysarthria which could be due to many conditions. However that most likely cause of slurred speech in your case would be the anti anxiety medication. Medication like xanax and benzodiazepines may cause slurring of speech, confusion and disorientation.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.