Small bulging disc likely/ or unlikely to cause pain/numbness down leg?

Patient : My military PCM order a MRI after I told him I was experiencing numbness and tingling in my feet down my leg. I have an FAI problem in my hips that I am currently seeking care for. I have a lot of back pain. The MRI found a small bulge in my lumbar spine and degenerative disc diease. He said it was too small to cause pain. generally speaking is this an correct assumption or is any damage to the spin a serious thing?
Symptoms:  pain/ back/buttocks/thigh/ankle/feet