Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Small lump at back of my jaw at neck line,

Small lump at back of my jaw at neck line,

Patient: Small lump at back of my jaw at neck line, cough and trouble swallowing last two weeks, do you think this will go away on its own?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You have a small lump, at the back of your jaw, at the neckline with trouble coughing and swallowing. So this seems superficial to the neckline from your description. Even though this needs to be physically examined to confirm the diagnosis, there are various possibilities such as lymphadenopathy, abscess, dermoid cyst ( more midline ), or involving the salivary glands.If it more towards the midline, it could even be originating from the thyroid gland.In most such cases, such acute appearance indicates an infection causing lymphadenopathy, which resolves on its own. But if it persists beyond 2 weeks, it is better to get it examined by the physician first, and if required an antibiotic course can be initiated for the same after confirming the diagnosis with him. A good choice antibiotic would be Amoxicillin with a recommended dose of 500 mg twice daily for 7-10 days for adults.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.