Small white puss filled bump on scrotum.

Patient

Q: Hi there. On my scrotum sort of close to the base of the shaft I have a circular red and white dot that I have had for over a year now .. I went to a doctor before and she said it was like a ingrown hair which I think it has a good possibility of being as well. It started as a hair I believe that I seen had a little ball and i squeezed it and pus came out and then it just grew much larger. When I squeeze it hard white puss comes out all stringy, but it is painless and just is a bit red and looks like a white ball above skin. Just wondering if I should go get it checked again as its been a year and its been the same for about 11 months.

Symptoms:  Just visible bump.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that this swelling could be a sebaceous cyst. Sebaceous cysts are similar to pimples (comedones) as they involve the obstruction of a sebaceous gland. Sebaceous cyst can be larger, harder, and remain for long periods of time beneath the surface of the skin. Since you have expressed a white purulent exudate out of this swelling, lends to the support of this possible diagnosis. You will likely need to have this examined by your doctor. The best treatment for this cyst on your scrotum will be to have it removed, as this is a very sensitive area and if at all it becomes inflamed or infected, you can experience a great deal of pain and possible spread to the testes, and surrounding structures of this region. Please see your doctor.

Than you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com