Smoking and Birth Control Stroke Question

Patient

Q: Hi there, I'm 32 years old and my husband and I are planning start trying for our first child within the next year. I have not made the healthiest choices... I smoked ultra light cigarettes (0-8 per day) for ten years, have high blood pressure, and don't have the healthiest eating habits. I weigh 135 pounds and am not considered overweight, but am somewhat close to it. I've spent the last few months changing my lifestyle. I quit smoking, have been eating healthier, exercising, and drinking lots of water. I've been on birth control pills for the last 16 years, and know that smoking and the pill are not a good combination. I'm on meds for the blood pressure, and have a monitor and my blood pressure is well under control and monitored. I'm wondering if I should be worried about the possible damage I've done from smoking and being on the pill? I had a scare a few weeks ago where I saw waves in the far right of my right eye. I got very worried I was having a stroke. My blood pressure was high (150/98), but the more I calmed myself the more it went back down to normal. Should I request to have scans done to make sure I didn't have a stroke? Thanks!

Symptoms:  Change in vision, tiredness (I've never been a good sleeper)
Doctor