x
163 Physicians Online

Question:

Smoking Cessation before and after Tonsillectomy

I'm having a tonsillectomy soon and i smoke how long before should i stop smoking and how long after should i not smoke for ?

Answer:

I am asked this question daily. Even short periods of smoking cessation can have short term benefits to health but the benefit is difficult to quantify.  Likely different people will benefit differently depending on their health status, immune system, work environment and other lifestyle factors.
As a general rule. the longer you can refrain from smoking, the longer you will benefit. At a minimum you should consider stopping smoking 1 week before surgery and 4 weeks after. Smoking has been shown to delay recovery from surgery and increase complications.
Good luck

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA