Smoking cigarette and pregnancy

Patient

Q: If I smoke cigarettes, and I get my wife pregnant. Can my smoking cause any DNA or other issues to our child?

Symptoms:  Smoking cigarette
Doctor

A:   Hi,
According to few studies smoking can increase the risk of mutations during sperm production and when mother expose to passive smoking, the toxins in cigarette smoke may cross the placenta and may affect the unborn baby's DNA.
Heavy paternal smoking can lead to increased risk of early pregnancy loss, intrauterine growth retardation of the baby etc.
Babies whose fathers smoke more than 20 cigarettes per day are having increased risk of central nervous system tumors according to some researchers.
Take care.