Smoking hookah versus smoking cigarettes

Patient

Q: I have asthma and for about 6 months have been smoking hookah once or twice a week for about three hours. now just recently i have a severe cough my chest is tight and am devoluping vertigo. i never had to use an inhaler to smoke hookah because i dont feel the effects on my lungs like if i am near a ciggarette is any of this connected to hookah.

Doctor

A:   Studies suggest that smoking hookah is equally as detrimental to your health as smoking cigarettes and in a one-hour hookah session, you may consume about 100 to 200 times the smoke and about 70 times the nicotine as you may in one cigarette. I would therefore suggest attending your family doctor for a detailed history and clinical examination of your chest. I would also advise recording your peak flow measurements regularly to assess how well your asthma is currently under control.