Smoking marijuana with Aortic stenosis

Q: I have Aortic stenosis and I was wondering if smoking marijuana would effect it in any ways at all? I am not looking for you to tell me if I should smoke marijuana or not in just want to know the site effects of it with my condition.

A:   Thank you for your question. Inhaling any noxious substance such as smoke from tobacco and marijuana can indeed exacerbate the symptoms of your Aortic stenosis. Patients with aortic stenosis can suffer from shortness of breath, weakness, dizziness, and fainting spells. This is due to the decreased amount of oxygenated blood that is pumped out of heart due to the stenotic aorta. If you inhale marijuana smoke, this can decrease the amount of oxygen getting into your blood, thereby putting you at increased risk of experiencing any of the aforementioned symptoms. We do not recommend that you smoke any substance if you have Aortic stenosis.

We hope has addressed your concern.