Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Snowboard lateral knee injury

Snowboard lateral knee injury

Patient: Is this more consistent with an injury to the lateral hamstring tendon/biceps femoris rather than a LCL partial tear? If so, what is typical recovery time and once hurt do I risk further damage? Thank you.

Symptoms: Background: snowboard related left knee (front foot regular rider) lateral side. left foot rides at 21-24 degree angle (towards small toe). Left leg rotated in opposite direction and extended slightly outward (the rear side). Felt something like pull/pop. Iced and motrin. Virtually no swelling. Walking gate is normal and most motion is without discomfort. However, standing up from chair while pushing down with left leg/firmly planting foot results in pain/disomfort. Injury was two weeks ago and I have been able to snowboard relatively pain free other than standing up getting off lift if I place too much weight on front foot, some mild stiffness the next day. I am an advanced rider.

Doctor: Hello.Thank you for posting your query on ATD.I have gone through your query and understand your concern. As it li kely to hamstring strain, I think it will take nearly 6 weeks to recover it.Analgesic such as ibuprofen are of help in pain relief. Rest is very important in recovery. Vitamin B and C help in recovery. Once hurt you will be like a normal person after recovery and you can do these activities once you remain pain-free for nearly 2 months.Hope your query got answered.Wishing you a good health.Take care