So after being in the cold for a long time

Q: So after being in the cold for a long time my fingers and toes went numb. It's been two days since then my finger tips and toes are still numb. There is no visible discoloration or damage. I'm wondering if this numbness will go away?

A:   Hi.

Thank you for writing to ATD.

It seems that you have frostbite. Frostbite happens when you are exposed to the cold for a long time.

The cold will cause reduced sensation in the nerve endings. Pain will also not be felt as quickly as in the warm.

If you do not get back sensation even after your body is warm, then the nerves might have been damaged by the cold.

You should talk to a Neurologist to get this diagnosed. They may do a few tests to be sure.

Post this treatment is attempted. Usually, physiotherapy will help greatly with this.

I hope this helps you. All the best.