So I am currently a nursing student and had an accidental prick

Patient

Q: So I am currently a nursing student and yesterday at clinical, I placed and D/Cd an IV on a patient I had (but that we didn't know was HIV+). During the IV catheter placement, I wore gloves and there was no needle stick or anything, but when I took the other IV out, I touched her arm (ungloved) before putting on gloves to look at it, and there was a little dried blood on her arm. I didn't have any open cuts on that hand but I DID have a teensy scratch on my other wrist and I cannot for the life of me, remember if I touched that wrist or not. After leaving, I used antiseptic foam. When we found out she was HIV+ we washed our hands with soap and water. The patient had already been on HIV meds but I'm not sure for how long. The nurse I was with didn't seem very concerned at all but I'm a little nervous. Should I start on the prophylactics? Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”

As you have described the incidence it appears that it has negligible chance of transmission of infection. As you said it was a dried blood which you touched and don’t remember whether you have touched other wrist which was having a scratch. It is very uncommon for a person to touch injured part by own.
You need not worry as you have washed your hands immediately after touching the patient.

Hope this will be useful to you.