Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > So I’ve had a sore throat on and off for

So I’ve had a sore throat on and off for

Patient: So I’ve had a sore throat on and off for a couple of weeks. I recently had unprotected oral sex last Friday. I now have had swollen tonsils and feeling of fullness in my throat since sunday( two days after the oral sex). Could I have oral gonnorrhea? Strep throat is going around at my job and I have similar symptoms to tonsillitis. What could it be?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,As you were already suffering from throat congestion and sore throa t before the oral sex episode and now that you have developed tonsillitis, with a history of streptococcal spread at your job indicates more of a streptococcal etiology rather than a gonorrhoeic. Streptococcus is also known to inhabit the genitals especially in the perianal region and the labial flaps. Nevertheless, confirmation can be attained by getting a throat swab culture done and you shall need an antibiotic course for a week according to the organisms detected by the culture reports. Please meet your PCP for a throat swab.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards

Patient: I’ve had strep throat in the past and had severe pain in my throat and this time I don’t. I’m concerned that I may not have it because I don’t have similar symptoms from my last strep encounter. Do I have to have the same symptoms? Also my tonsils are very large with red blotches like they were last time.

Doctor: There could be staph infection or a possible chlamydia infection as well, one may not get to know unless a throat swab culture is done. Because representation and symptoms of most throat infections overlap.