So I've had a sore throat on and off for

Patient

Q: So I've had a sore throat on and off for a couple of weeks. I recently had unprotected oral sex last Friday. I now have had swollen tonsils and feeling of fullness in my throat since sunday( two days after the oral sex). Could I have oral gonnorrhea? Strep throat is going around at my job and I have similar symptoms to tonsillitis. What could it be?

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,
As you were already suffering from throat congestion and sore throat before the oral sex episode and now that you have developed tonsillitis, with a history of streptococcal spread at your job indicates more of a streptococcal etiology rather than a gonorrhoeic. Streptococcus is also known to inhabit the genitals especially in the perianal region and the labial flaps. Nevertheless, confirmation can be attained by getting a throat swab culture done and you shall need an antibiotic course for a week according to the organisms detected by the culture reports. Please meet your PCP for a throat swab.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,

Patient: I've had strep throat in the past and had severe pain in my throat and this time I don't. I'm concerned that I may not have it because I don't have similar symptoms from my last strep encounter. Do I have to have the same symptoms? Also my tonsils are very large with red blotches like they were last time.
Doctor: There could be staph infection or a possible chlamydia infection as well, one may not get to know unless a throat swab culture is done. Because representation and symptoms of most throat infections overlap.