Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > So recently, I developed a cold

So recently, I developed a cold

Patient: So recently, I developed a cold- it started out with just a head ache, nasal congestion and a sore throat. The next morning I woke up with a full-blown cold. I took Tylenol the night before and that morning but later I began vomiting anything I put into my system, even sips of water and the tylonel. Once everything was out of my stomach, I started throwing up yellow/green mucus and that continued for approximately a day. It has been 3 days since and the vomiting has stopped but the cough is still around. I am coughing up brown and yellow phlegm. I smoke once a day for about 4 months now…should I be concerned and what should I do?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You seem to be suffering from a lowe r respiratory tract infection. You do not have a very high-risk exposure from smoke as of now, however, try to limit it to once every alternate day or so. Smoking apart from cancer in the later stages, also predisposes the respiratory tract to more infections.I will advise you to consult your physician and start an antibiotic course. Most such infections start as a viral but if not controlled it rapidly progresses to a superadded bacterial infection. The yellow/ brown colored phlegm is a sign of a bacterial infection. A good choice antibiotic would be Tab. Cefixime 200 mg twice daily for a week. Additionally, you need Syrup Ascoril 2 teaspoons twice daily to reduce the coughing and drain out the trapped mucus out. If you still have nasal congestion, then you can take Tab. Levocetirizine once at bedtime for 3 days.Hope this was helpful,Regards