So two weeks ago I believed I had a uti

Patient

Q: So two weeks ago I believed I had a uti because I had pains in lower stomach, it hurt to pee and I would frequently use the bathroom but little came out. So I took azo cranberry pills last week and some amoxicillin. I feel better but now I got a shatp pain in my right stomach. Do I have a kidney infection?

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

Although it is difficult to predict about kidney infection, they are very severe and associated with a high-grade fever and hematuria in most cases. So, kidney infection does not look likely in your case. Even uncontrolled UTIs present with lower abdominal pain and increased urinary urgency.
You need to get your urine cultured and start on appropriate antibiotics as most organisms causing UTIs have become resistant to the common antibiotics. A good choice for such infections is Cotrimoxazole ( TMP-SMX ) to be taken twice daily for 7-10 days depending on the severity. You also need to continue the cranberry pills to prevent any burning or irritation while passing urine.

If the pain persists, a CT KUB will be a good option.

Hope this was helpful,
Regards.