Socializing with anon

Patient

Q: Social problems! Have a hard time getting out of the house and socializing even with family members. Need to go to a baby shower and am dreading it!

Symptoms:  Depression
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
The avolition that you are stating could be due to depression or due to social phobia. If it is of a recent onset then it is mire likely to be depression. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.
You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a psychologist consult.

Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.